It’s difficult to work in the entertainment industry and not come across a Disney company. Disney owns nearly everything entertainment. Don’t believe me?
We gathered some info from the world wide web to see if our suspicions were true. We found a nice little infographic used on a few sites, to drive home the company’s colossal ownership.
What Does Disney Own?
How many companies does Disney own?
They can’t possibly own everything. But then why do I see Disney logos everywhere? I always assumed bigger networks stand on their own two feet. Does Disney own ABC? Marvel?
We’re grateful to Title Max, for creating this epic graphic. But below it is a list a little less intimidating.
We made a list based on the data that was floating in the ether, to give you an accurate assessment of the company’s magnitude.
Who and What Disney Owns:
- ESPN (80% stake)
- Touchstone Pictures
- A&E (50% equity holding with Hearst Corporation)
- The History Channel (50% equity holding with Hearst Corporation)
- Lifetime (50% equity holding with Hearst Corporation)
- Hollywood Records
- Vice Media (10% stake)
- Core Publishing
That’s kind of aggressive isn’t it? Well, there’s more...much more. Disney owns brands too. Don’t forget about those. Here’s another list of all the brands Disney owns...
Brands: Disney owns what?
- Star Wars
- The Muppets (the entire brand, that means any and everything muppets)
- The Marvel Cinematic Universe (but not the X-Men — yet!)
- Disney Princesses/Princes (such as characters from Cinderella, Mulan, Frozen, Aladdin, and The Lion King)
- The Chronicles of Narnia Franchise
- The Pirates of the Caribbean Franchise
- Pixar Films (such as Toy Story, The Incredibles, and Cars)
- The Winnie the Pooh Franchise
- The Indiana Jones Franchise
- Grey’s Anatomy (and other popular ABC shows)
Of course, things change all the time, and as I’m writing this, Disney could be buying up more brands and companies. **The Fox merger will potentially change this landscape a bit, leaning even closer towards a monopoly. But let’s hope not.
Also, there are plenty of companies/brands Disney owns that we just have never heard of. Feel free to take a look at that infographic again. It may actually be the size of all of the Disney Parks combined.
The Few Left
What Disney doesn’t own
Does Disney own Universal? Nope. Not a chance. NBC Universal owns it along with a little company called Dreamworks.
A similar beast of a company to is Time Warner. They own Warner Bros., HBO, the CW, and DC Comics.
Best Company Culture Videos
As you just read, companies can grow at an alarming rate, but what gets people there? If you own a business or do marketing for one, it’s unlikely you’re as large as Disney, with its reputation, so how can you show off how great you are? The post dives into 7 ingredients to make better company culture videos. Learn more below.